One thing I failed to mention in that article was that Information Builders eliminated several legacy FOCUS features (text editor, end-user wizards, type to screen, statistical facility, etc.) and did not move them to WebFOCUS. Certain things that you may have done in FOCUS no longer exist in the web version.
Therefore, when analyzing a FOCUS-to-WebFOCUS conversion, look for these old features embedded in the 4GL code:
- TED (text editor)
- TABLETALK (end user reporting wizard)
- MODIFYTALK (end user data maintenance wizard)
- ANALYZE (statistical analysis)
- FIDEL (green-screen processor used within MODIFY)
- FMMAIN (the FOCUS Menu facility)
- ISHFSHLL (the TSO FOCUS Toolkit)
- PWREP (the TSO Power Reporter)
Converting batch jobs (MVS JCL) from FOCUS to WebFOCUS can also raise serious issues. For more information, see this blog posting.
- Preparing for FOCUS-to-WebFOCUS Conversions
- Converting the NOMAD 4GL to WebFOCUS
- Convert FOCUS Batch JCL Jobs for WebFOCUS
- Automatically Modernize QMF/SQL to WebFOCUS